Digestion makes up for an essential process in our body that affects majority of our organ systems and is the foundation of a healthy mind and body. Because Filipinos love to eat, maintaining a healthy digestive tract is essential in order for a person to enjoy the benefits of having an adequate diet.
An important manifestation of an unhealthy colon is when a person is always sick. a person’s immune complexes can also be found in his digestive system. So how does a colon cleanse work? It removes large amounts of stagnant, toxic waste that is left on the walls of a colon. Once this is cleared, it leads to the following benefits on the body:
- Better metabolism. The colon can hold a lot of digested food that can impede proper functioning of one’s digestive tract.
- Improved digestion. Imagine if the whole colon was blocked by unwanted, digested food that needs to be eliminated? Once cleared, the digestive system is able to move waste freely along its length and makes for better digestion especially of important nutrients from food.
- Enhanced concentration. Toxins found in the gut leads to toxins seeping through the blood stream that slows down metabolism as well as brain activity. This leads not only to a sluggish gut, but a sluggish brain too. Removing these toxins can immediately lead to better and enhanced cognitive performance.
- Increased energy levels. Because metabolism is improved, the body is able to make use of important nutrients and sources of energy correctly, so that energy levels are kept at a steady and constant pace throughout the day.
- Decreased risk for illness. As you know, accumulation of unwanted waste from the body leads to a high level of toxic substances that leads to an acidic environment.
- Improved skin conditions. The presence of toxins in the blood stream is manifested through different conditions affecting the different organs, one of which is the skin.
- Addressed fertility concerns. The acidity of one’s body also affects the proper function of the reproductive organ.
In the end, colon cleansing helps a person experience an overall feeling of wellness. This is why cleansing is actually advocated by most, if not all experts nowadays. Although food alone will not clean the entire length of the colon, eating the right kinds of food can help improve digestion and lead to a healthy and properly functioning colon.
- Prebiotics. Prebiotics are important for one’s digestive system since these are indigestible fibers that intestinal microbes feed on and play a crucial role in digestive function, protection against infections, nutrient absorption and immune function. Important sources of prebiotics include leeks, garlic, onions, potatoes, yams and bananas.
- Probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria that are found in fermented food such as yogurt. These types of bacteria help in digestion and help get rid of harmful bacteria. This has been found to relieve those particularly suffering for indigestion.
- Citrus Fruits. According to research, citrus fruits facilitate colon cleansing by helping get rid of waste materials that build up and accumulate in its length. It also serves as an antiseptic that helps prevent bacterial growth in accumulated waste.
- Green, Leafy Vegetables. Kale, spinach, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, and seaweed help clean the colon and protect the digestive tract from different conditions.
- Flax Seeds and Chia Seeds. These seeds are known to be rich in fiber and aid in promotion of good digestion because of its high omega-3 content.
- Beans and Lentils. Aside from being very rich in essential vitamins and minerals, beans and lentils help in the process of digestion, leading to cleansing of the colon.
- Whole Grains. These grains are also rich in fiber and help sweep through the entire length of the digestive tract to get rid of unwanted waste that stays stuck in the walls of the colon.
- Aloe Vera. This plant is known to contain anti-inflammatory properties that help address common inflammatory conditions found in the digestive tract such as gastritis, colitis and even cancer.
- Avocados. Avocados are very rich in the good cholesterol omega3, which helps lubricate the walls of the intestines, preventing toxins and unwanted waste from sticking to the walls of the gut.
- Psyllium Husk. This seed is known to have cleansing properties just like chia and flax seeds. When mixed with water, this turns into a mixture that can sweep through the entire length of the colon.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. A known powerful cleansing fruit, vinegar from apples help promote healthy digestion, and because of a carbohydrate found in them known as pectin, toxins even heavy metals are easily removed from the intestines.
- Green Tea. Aside from being high in antioxidants, green tea improves bowel functions and helps cleanse the colon. With both its antioxidants and cleansing properties, this tea is a very effective detoxifying agent for the colon and the entire body.
Because our diet affects the overall health of our colon, what we eat directly affects the waste that is passed from our body. By eating more of these types of food, we improve not only our digestion but our overall health and wellness, too.