Dilis may be small, but it is “terribly” packed with a lot of essential nutrients that contribute to a healthier heart, stronger teeth and bones, sharper mind, as well as better eyesight. What’s in every tiny fillet of this fish that makes it a superstar compared to other food?
● Omega-3. These fatty acids are also great for the eyes, skin and brain health. Just 20 grams of fresh anchovies can already provide you with 0.3 grams of omega-3.
● Calcium. Dilis contains over twice the amount of calcium compared to milk. Calcium helps in bone formation and muscle stimulation in the heart and blood vessels.
● Protein. Anchovies are rich in the healthy type of protein that is necessary not just for building muscles, but for brain function and bone health as well.
● Iron. Twenty grams of fresh dilis supplies 12 percent of the daily requirement of iron for men. Iron is important in the transportation of oxygen in the body.
● Potassium. For every serving of dilis, you get about 383 mg of potassium. Potassium is necessary for the heart to function properly.
● Selenium. Selenium is used in the treatment of heart disease, stroke, and atherosclerosis (i.e. hardening of the arteries). Dilis can give you about 36 mcg of selenium per serving.
● Vitamin A. Dilis is also great for eye health since it is rich in vitamin A. One hundred grams of dilis can nourish your body with about 50,000 IU (international units) of vitamin A.
● Niacin. This B vitamin helps maintain regulated function of your nervous and digestive systems. You can get 19 percent of the daily requirement of niacin from a serving of dilis.
● Phosphorous. In partnership with calcium, phosphorous makes up the primary mineral called “hydroxyapatite” which is used by the body to build bones. You can get 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of phosphorous with just 20 grams of anchovies.
● Magnesium. Magnesium helps in the maintenance of heart rate and blood pressure. Magnesium also helps in both growth and maintenance of the bones.