How do we prevent wrinkles from appearing? Some of the measures include:
- Sunblock. Sun protection is the first rule of thumb. Avoid the outdoors when ultraviolet light is at its peak, which is between 10 am and 3 pm. Put on a cream, gel, or lotion with sun protection factor of at least 30, with both UVA and UVB protection. If you will be outdoors, make sure that your SPF is waterproof and sweat proof and re-apply every 1 to 2 hours. Wearing hats and using umbrellas with UV protection also go a long way in helping minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
- Moisturize. Fine lines can be minimized as the skin gets hydrated. Choose a cream which is thicker than a lotion, which can stay on your skin through the day or night. Do moisturize especially if you will be exposed to heat, cold, or wind as these elements dry out your skin.
- Vitamin A. One of the topical versions of vitamin A is tretinoin. It has the ability to increase the formation of collagen, which serves as the cushion of our skin and gives it its plump, firm quality. Collagen decreases as we age, leading to sagging skin and fine lines. Other derivatives of vitamin A which are incorporated in wrinkle creams are retinol and retinoids. These are used as night creams and are meant to be applied very thinly. Sun protection is a must as the skin tends to be more sensitive to the sun when these night creams are used.
- Vitamin C. The topical version of vitamin C can be very unstable especially when exposed to heat and light, and usually, comes in its serum form. This is used every morning to counter the effects of free radicals and oxidative stress, which can cause skin aging and the appearance of fine lines and pigmentation.
- Alpha-hydroxyacids. AHAs are plant-derived and can induce exfoliation of the skin. These are incorporated in creams and can be used twice a day. Those who cannot tolerate retinoids can try AHAs.
- Beta-hydroxy acids. Salicylic acid is the most popular BHA and is found in a lot of creams. A very low concentration is helpful in fighting fine lines. A high concentration will definitely irritate your skin. This also exfoliates your skin.